Every once in a while I come across a job posting and think, “This is someone’s PERFECT semi-retired life.”
Somewhat predictably, this position is in travel/tourism – one of the three categories I’ve previously tagged as having seasonal/contract/temporary/part-year positions available. (Teaching and Taxes are the other two.)
But, if cruising ships and reading set your heart aflutter, check out this position with Holland America as a ship Librarian:
- Tracking Code
- Job Description
- Do you have a fun, independent and outgoing personality who loves to read and be in a library? Are you the person your friends and family come to with tech issues with their iPad, Android, Windows phone? Then a job as Librarian onboard a Holland America ship might be the perfect job for you.
- Required Skills
- Responsible for the operation, organization and appearance of the Explorations Café.
- Checks in/out books, DVDs and related materials.
- Responsible for organizing books, restocking shelves, maintain board games, puzzles, crossword pads, and newspapers for guests. Manages the replacement of lost and missing items.
- First line of support and guidance for all guest Internet related matters.
- Assist guests with Internet package to help improve revenue onboard.
- Complies with all company operational procedures.
- Successfully completes all required training programs.
- Performs ship’s safety functions as required.
- Required Experience
- Previous hospitality or guest service experience.
- Strong socializing skills.
- Experience with basic help desk services.
- Possesses an interest in literature.
- Ability to relocate, live and work onboard with coworkers for 6 months.
- Position Type
- Here’s the Link to the Posting
- Sigh…makes me want to curl up with a good book and a cup of tea.
- Bon voyage!